Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Fantasy tube

On Aug 13, 11:23 pm, Chris Hornbeck
wrote:
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 07:35:40 -0700, Andre Jute
wrote:

If you were promised that your dream tube would be made at a
reasonable price, if only you can describe it adequately, what would
you ask for?

Clearly, whatever you specify must not breach the laws of physics,
such as asking for a tube giving a hundred watts in Class A for a year
on a single AA battery.

A pretty broad, but still very interesting question. Small
signal and medium signal tubes are already pretty great, so
the hunt must go to output tubes.

Linearity and long service life favor a pretty primitive
tube family (1000 volts, thoriated tungsten filaments, the
whole 1930's shtick) but there is one exception. The WE
type 300 managed, by sheer will power, to run linearly and
well at 500 volts on oxide-coated filaments.

So, my fantasy tube would be a type 300, but

WITH A SEPARATE ****ING CATHODE! Is that so ****ing hard to do?

Jeez.

I'm better now. Thanks for the opportunity to vent.
Sorry... sorry...

And, thanks as always,

Chris Hornbeck
"It's just this little Chromium Switch.
You people are SO superstitious."

Oh, I dunno... The KT88/6550 and KT90 are pretty good tubes given that
I have no predilections towards SE devices. My fantasy tube would be
new-production small-signal tubes along the lines of the Sylvania
Mil.Spec. series with the 5751 being the best of that. Very low noise,
low microphonics, great longevity.... So, make of that quality, but
include the various 6XX and 12XX tubes, miniature and octal as needed.

Of, course were I to be having a Jutean Fantasy, I would extend that
wish-for-quality to extend to power-tubes as well.

Never happen.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA