Arny Krueger

Default 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 48 khz <-- please explain

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote in message

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:44:44 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Jay - atldigi" wrote in message

It can remove distortion but the error still exists as broadband
noise.

Well, we call it noise but in fact it's 100% deterministic given
that we created the randomizing signal so we should know what it is.

And to make the whole thing even soupier, dither can theoretically
be removed after DAC, decorrelating quantization errors and
leaving noise that's statistically independent of the signal.

Yes. Some of the Vanderkooy & Lip****z papers treat this. Apparently this
possibility was exciting to some people for a while.

IMO, there's a lot of etymological weirdness in this area.
Quantization error is often called quantization noise. Spectral
shaping of quantization error is commonly called "noise shaping".
Quantization error is noisy, but it's noisy in the sense that loud
neighbors are *noisy*. It's not noise in the sense of random noise,
because quantization error is 100% predictable.

Definitely a "through the looking glass" world because we have to rely
on words.

I suspect that some of these word choices made more sense at some time in
the past.

Thanks for your comments,

back at ya!

;-)