Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

Default Always wanted to try a Mac.

In message , geoff
writes
On 26/04/2019 11:12 PM, Bill wrote:

He still seems besotted with the Mac - he keeps referring to one
publisher who has encouraged the move - in spite of my questions of
"why?".

The expression is "hook, line, and sinker". He now feels superior to
the plebes. A bit like an Audi driver, or a vegan. It will keep
cropping up early in any conversation that he is involved in now.

I had a phone call from my friend with his new refurbished iMac
yesterday.

I told him about this discussion, that I had joined in and read out
Geoff's reply above. He accepts the Audi driver, but is appalled by the
vegan reference.

He then proceeded to rave over the sound quality of the iMac, and
insisted on playing me a track from Benny Goodman over the Mac and the
phone so that I could hear the quality. I avoided answering directly by
diverting into discussion of Lionel Hampton's playing on the track. This
is hard work for me as I am not a particular fan of, or know much about,
jazz. We then went on to the comparative recording quality of different
labels (mainly Capitol, Columbia and MGM) in the '40's.

He is, as I said, primarily a music journalist, writing mainly and often
humorously about musicians and jazz. He lives in a large house with a
huge room dedicated to music and a large lounge. Both of these have
decent hifi separates systems that sound good to me. His office/computer
room is similarly huge. His big Windows machine has some small "computer
speakers" that he rarely switches on, and now the iMac with the built in
speakers.

What he is interested in is whether Toby, the OP, has proceeded with his
purchase and any comments he may have after a few days or weeks of
ownership, so I said I would post here to ask the question.
--
Bill