Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Always wanted to try a Mac.

On 26/04/2019 3:56 AM, Tobiah wrote:

I suppose it's the price barrier that holds me back.
I normally just go to Fry's and get a mobo combo for
a couple three hundred dollars when it's time to
upgrade a machine.Â* I've had the same case for 15 years.

I sometimes get the idea though that the audio industry
favors Apple products.Â* I also love that OSX is built
on a *nix kernel.Â* I spend most of my time at work in
a shell on Linux.Â* It's my comfort zone.Â* I do Cygwin
and dabble in the Windows Subsystem for Linux but it feels
like double wrapped sex.

Anyway, I've been considering a Mac MINI.Â* I saw one today
with the caption:

Refurbished: Apple C Grade Desktop Computer Mac mini MD389LL/A-C
Intel Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB 2 TB HDD Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

From a reputable source for $359.

How difficult will it be to use this box with my existing
monitor with dual DVI input?Â* If I replace the monitor with
a modern 4k, will I need an adaptor?Â* Will this box drive 4k?

Is it suited well to hobby level realtime DAW work?

Does it have a fan?Â* Is it quiet enough to just sit on my
desk near my mics or will I have to build a box or something?
My current tower is in a closet behind my desk.Â* That works
fine from a noise standpoint, but inconvenient often when I
need access to the machine.

Thanks for any tips or alternatives.

Tobiah

Apple's early foothold in the industry mostly because ProTools was
exclusively Mac, and competing applications were hamstrung by this,.
There were significant obstructions for other hardware and software
providers from getting an elbow in. Fortunately that constriction has
largely gone and softwares on other platforms are now recognised for
their strengths. But the historical bias does remain.

You know where Microsoft got it's current touchy-feely dumb-user 'hold
your hand and manage everything for you' interface ideas from ? All the
stuff that gets in the way of somebody who knows what they want, where
they put it, and what they want it to do, etc ?

Apple was a once status-symbol intended to advertise that the user was
a more discriminating sophisticated nerd , with a good appreciation of
high-design, than other mere plebes. However in effect they were
brainwashed and locked into a monopolistic Mac-world. Still has the
snob-value thing to a degree.

geoff