Guenter Scholz

Default Dayton Wright XG-8 Mk 3 ESL's

I have to disagree vehemently about the positive comments made about the
DW's. I speak as a past owner of 2 of the incarnations the Mk8/III and Mk10
that supposedly had all the problems fixed. the main problem, and Bill should
know this, is the impedance miss match between the very dense SF6 and the air.
It makes for reflections galore. On an A/B voice test, no one could recognize
the speakers voice when played through the speakers. This is an intrinsic
fatal flaw that these speakers possess. their impedance is horrendous, there
are almost no amps out there below kilo$'s that will drive them. You will need
the likes of a ML or if you are on a budget a Leach. The tweeters on the XG8
is a $5 piezzo..(Ok, I don't know the exact value).... give me a break. the
later Mk10 incarnation at least had a Matsu****a leaf (NOT ribbon) tweeter.
Anyone who thinks that these speakers gives an accurate presentation of what
is recorded has WAX in the ears, period! BTW, I am not saying that they don't
sound pleasant, hey I sound 'pleasant' singing in the shower (lots of reverb)
but accurate it ain't... so sorry.

In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:
Sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong...

I can't speak for the honesty of the seller or the condition of these speakers,
of course...

But the XG-8 is one hell of a speaker, especially when you have a big amp to
drive them with. Not only are they 'stats, with the kind of sound that implies,
but they can play cleanly at ridiculously high volume levels in large rooms.
They're great for any kind of music.

The $950 BIN price is too low for speakers of this quality. If I had the money,
I'd buy them.

In case you're wondering... Yes, I'm waiting for you-know-who to come out and
make a further idiot of himself. "The Blue Book says the real value is
$29.33 --
and the seller should pay shipping!"