Stewart Pinkerton

On 4 Oct 2005 02:12:23 GMT, Steven Sullivan wrote:

wrote:

So, as in any scientific question, we use the process of
elimination. The fact that the difference was repeatable, over several
days, and that the alteranative explanation ('it's all in my head')
strains credulity, points to the cables themselves possessing a
different sound character.

It's Occam's razor time!

Wrong, because you underestimate or are ignorant of the power of
the psychological effects. *No* competent scientist, for example,
would consider the 'all in your head' explanation
to constitute 'straining credulity', under such conditions.

Obviously, 'straining credulity' is not a sufficient criterion unless
you actually understand how likely things are. That two
people in a party of forty can readily have the same birthdate merely
by chance 'strains credulity' for people who have no clue about
probability -- such people are likely to think it 'means' something.

I live in a small village of some two hundred souls, of whom about a
third are regular visitors to the pub. Out of that seventy or so, five
of us - including the landlady - have the same birthdate, which
'strains credulity' by a factor of 26, thereby gaining statistical
significance. Must be a sign...............