Scott Dorsey

Default Electrical ground question

Tom Paterson wrote:

While taking apart one of the old medicine cabinets, not intending to expose
bare wire yet, the chromed steel end cap for the plastic light fell into an old
extension cord being used as a shaver outlet (not plugged in all the way,
prongs exposed). My hand was on the endcap. I felt nothing before my hand flew
off, but even with sparks flying and bouncing on the floor, and the old
wallpaper burnt, the FPE breaker did *not* trip. They are famous for this,
staying open under full load dead short ("house fire" and/or "electrocution").
"One of those things", I was lucky I wasn't grounded.

I worked in a government facility that used Federal no-blows. An electrician
working on an outdoor lighting circuit accidentally shorted something. The
breaker for the circuit did not trip. The main service breaker did not trip.
The substation breaker DID trip. I don't know how that happened, but the
neighbors were not happy and the panel was replaced within eight hours.