Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Comparing mic noise

On 7/13/2017 7:40 PM, Tobiah wrote:
Still, couldn't an experienced individual give me some idea, given these
incompatible statistics, what level of noise I might notice from one to
the other.

The one pair is Rode NT1-A, and the other is an Audio-Technica AT8010.

I don't yet have the AT8010.

Oh, so you want to compare them based on published information, not
actual performance. You should read my series about specifications
published in Recording. The gist of the introduction is that
manufacturers measure products any way they want to, and publish numbers
that they think will look good to the customer even though they're
relatively meaningless out of their own context. Neither of those
specifications can tell you how many milivolts of noise you get out of
the microphone when there's there's no sound going into it.

What you want is a specification that says something like "Self-noise:
-72 dBu (or 0.2 mV). But that's too simple and honest.