Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Subwoofers! Etc.

On 22/02/2021 6:17 pm, wrote:
geoff wrote:

===========

Actually I'm repairing a Bose 1800VI power amp that is reputed to be
quite good. But when you pull it apart it turns out to be Carvin.

** Yep, a PM1400 " magnetic field " job.

Tip from an expert:
Be very wary of any amplifier that has speaker maker's name on it.

Bose, JBL, AR, Renkus-Heinz, EV, Altec ......

..... Phil

I was thinking about a different amp entirely, which was internally
Carvin - not Carver.

This says Bose on the PCBs - I wounder what the Carver one says. It is
a 'straightish' Class AB power amp with a touch where DC rails are
monitored and a triac momentarily switches in an extra section of mains
transformer primary if they dip. Nothing to do with Carver's sonic
holography magnetic field amp mumbo-jumbo, unless that's all it is ....

Had failed because the inside of the casing was essentially a solid
block of fluff and dust (pub).

geoff