Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default Quadraphonic vs Surrond Sound

On Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 8:16:28 PM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
On 30/04/2015 22:48, JackA wrote:
On Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 4:05:16 PM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:

Obviously, you won't admit to thinking yours is mangled, as to admit
this would be to admit that you are deliberately posting links to
inferior audio solely in order to provoke a reaction on the group. The
fact that you get very few comments on your posts is not endorsement f
your efforts, but an indication of the effectiveness of many people's
kill files.

Oh, I really don't care about the silly people, they can ignore all they want, it is common in usenet. But, so far I have received some applause from outsiders, who aren't part of the "klan" here.

I've had compliments about my recording and mixing, too, but the best
compliment was when people paid to listen to the recording at home.

Speaking of Jazz in a way, a couple dudes issued a Buddy Rich (drummer - my idol) CD, even had one or two "alternate" versions. You know me, I'm in favor of letting someone else remix the multi-tracks. Sadly, these two dudes made my favorite songs sound worse than on vinyl.

There's nothing wrong with alternate versions as such, but if they're
performed worse and sound worse than the "original" or released version,
don't expect me to get excited about them. There's usually a good reason
they've never made it into the public domain before now.

For instance, I have at least four versions of "Autobahn" by Kraftwerk
available to listen to and they all sound good. I've heard one or two
outtakes, and it's obvious why they weren't released. The same goes for
the 3 different versions of Young Love by different performers.

It's funny, this sounds identical to what Mike Rivers wrote about me (from another newsgroup, recent visit)...

"I don't think anyone in this newsgroup has any idea if you even like
music. It just seems that you enjoy obsessing over audio-geek issues,
and old hit singles are the most convenient outlet for your mania".

He got that dead right. He forgot to mention your apparent deafness to
faults in your re-workings, though.

But, you didn't notice Sony (CD) marketing Quad mixes as Stereo....
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...eride-quad.mp3
That certainly isn't the stereo mix!!

But, that opens the door, what happened to all the session tapes? When Columbia sold to Sony, did a lot not make it into Sony's hands? Screw the Japanese? Granted, Columbia bought up recordings, but only ended up with the Master tapes! Like, Chi Coltrane, sounds much better from abroad (recently) than what Sony even Collectables offers. Listen to Randy's BS&T entry, a fair amount of tape hiss - sign of a worn Master tape. But, is it the Americans who Sony hired, to maintain their jobs betray other Americans while they spoon-feed you with sound quality? I say - YES!

Jack

--
Tciao for Now!

John.