View Single Post
  #8   Report Post  
Posted to rec.audio.pro
external usenet poster

Default Quadraphonic vs Surrond Sound

On Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 10:24:41 AM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
On 30/04/2015 13:53, JackA wrote:
Though I never experienced either, I had my share of quadraphonic vinyl LPs, since I enjoy hearing different mixes. I don't believe vinyl was capable of providing great detailed sound from four channels. However, since speakers became cheaper and smaller and since the digital media was capable of four truly discrete channels, multi-channel (greater than two) recordings returned about the '90's.. I read a lot of comments about Surround Sound renditions, and even though I think the world of stereophonic reproduction, I'm certain Surround Sound would supply greater clarity of sounds!!

WHICH quadrophonic format? There were three popular ones, plus a few other
more obscure ones. One of the popular ones actually did provide four discrete
channels, the other two were matrix formats.

Quadrophonic _is_ one kind of surround sound. It can work surprisingly well,
or it can be used for horrible cheez-whiz effects with one instrument of
the string quartet in each corner of the room.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Scott, I'm far from an expert on Quad' formats, but I do not believe any provided well isolated discrete (4) channel sound, like (later) digital formats.
Seem to recall reading about a 40 kHz or so carrier that contained the "rear" channel information.
If so, many who appreciated it, would be "ripping" their Quad' vinyl LPs to a multi-channel format, maybe MOGG, or even MP3 Surround.

I'm sure you remember, you could purchase gadgets to emulate Quad sound, but all that did is buck one rear channel against the other, so you would hear the difference.