Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Mac Pro 2019

wrote:
I use Cubase so I could get a Windows PC. I don't need a new computer right=
now but I will one day, so indeed I have been looking at Windows based PC'=
s.=20

I confess though, I like that under the hood the Mac has a Unix operating s=
ystem with a bash shell where I can write scripts and do other chores. I'm =
just ranting because Apple has made a marketing decision to charge a very p=
remium price for this new Mac Pro - because they can. I know it's assembled=
in the U.S.A. but mostly from overseas parts I would guess.

You might look into Windows Subsystem for Linux. It gives you a Software
Tools environment under Windows, and it's not as crufty as Cygwin is. It's
still got some bugs but changes made between XP and Win7 to make for faster
fork() makes a big difference. You still have you twist your head around
because paths have \ in them in one context and / in them in another. But
it's not horrible.

I still would recommend the Mac because it's a more closed environment, but
it's true that you pay for that. And the newer Mac machines are becoming
very difficult to repair.