Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] garyv52@gmail.com is offline

Default Mac Pro 2019

On Saturday, December 21, 2019 at 3:28:31 PM UTC-8, geoff wrote:
On 22/12/2019 10:41 am, wrote:
I've been using Mac Pro desktops with PCI slots for many years. It's a great machine, very well built and quiet. But this new model seems so over the top in terms of base price and expensive add-ons it seems Apple has truly reached the highest level of greed.

https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

With only SSD storage options adding immensely to the cost I wonder who this is geared towards. It's out of my price range these days but I do like internal PCI slots since I favor AES audio via the Lynx AES PCI card coupled with Lavry Blue converters.

Gary V

If you weren't locked into Mac-based software you could pick up a very
high-spec generic PC where pretty much all expansion options are
plentiful and inexpensive.

geoff

I use Cubase so I could get a Windows PC. I don't need a new computer right now but I will one day, so indeed I have been looking at Windows based PC's.

I confess though, I like that under the hood the Mac has a Unix operating system with a bash shell where I can write scripts and do other chores. I'm just ranting because Apple has made a marketing decision to charge a very premium price for this new Mac Pro - because they can. I know it's assembled in the U.S.A. but mostly from overseas parts I would guess.

Gary V