Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_5_] James Price[_5_] is offline

Default free EQ match plug in for Audacity?

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 4:04:53 PM UTC-5, david gourley wrote:
James Price said...news:5ad95c4f-6e95-4d15-972c-
:

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 5:11:40 AM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/8/2019 2:52 AM, James Price wrote:
Assuming we were both given the
same starting tone to work from, I have little doubt I could match a

given
reference tone far faster and with greater accuracy using EQ matching

software
than you could by ear using EQ alone.

And maybe I could find a better sound than the reference.

Quite possibly. EQ matching is well suited in the case of a guitarist who

has
a specific sound they're interested in replicating and to which they have

reference track. If you can find a tone that the guitarist or producer

agrees
is better than the reference, all the better.
than the reference,

AS a guitarist, I use different amps, guitars, and effects (when called
for) for any particular sound, and the rest is down to using favorable
microphones and positioning them.

If you didn't get the right tone the first time, try something else and re-
record it.

Or try re-amping. Anything like that will work better. Sometimes
"efficiency" just does not rock !

As a guitarist myself, the status quo is to use different amps, guitars,
mics, cabs or effects to create a particular sound, and re-amping can
be an effective option. Like re-amping, EQ matching is another option
that's effective for particular use cases. When applicable, it can be
extremely effective and efficient. It's simply another tool.