Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_5_] James Price[_5_] is offline

Default free EQ match plug in for Audacity?

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 3:04:50 PM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/8/2019 1:02 PM, James Price wrote:
EQ matching is well suited in the case of a guitarist who has
a specific sound they're interested in replicating and to which they have a
reference track. If you can find a tone that the guitarist or producer agrees
is better than the reference, all the better.
than the reference,

But wouldn't the first step be to listen to what comes out of the
amplifier and adjust the amp, the guitar, and the playing to get the
sound you want - using your reference track as . . um . . a reference?

Or are we assuming that you're mixing a track that's fully baked, must
be part of the production, and will not be replaced? I'm glad that I
don't have to take jobs like that.

Either/or.

In the first instance, you could adjust the amp, guitar, mic/position, etc.
and use the reference track as a reference. That's obviously the most commonly
used option. I mean, if you can copy the sound of the reference by ear faster than you can EQ match it, great.