Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default PreSonus 1810 audio interface.

On 3/8/2019 12:41 PM, Tobiah wrote:
What do you guys know about the 'XMAX' preamps in this unit.
The Fast Track Ultra I have uses preamps "based on M-Audio's Octane
technology"

Marketing fluff.

I'm looking for high gain and low noise like
for intimate Foley stuff.

I don't believe you'll get what you're dreaming of with the PreSonus
preamps. They're not colored, which I think is a good thing, but they'll
need some help in the gain area with most modern mics when recording
quiet sounds.

While I haven't checked out that particular unit, they expect a fairly
hefty signal going in from the mic. As a benchmark, at full gain,
conversation-level speech a foot away from a Shure SM57 will get you a
peak recording level of around -10 dBFS. Quiescent noise at full gain
with the input terminated will be on the order of -75 dBFS.

You would probably want something like a Cloudlifter in line with
whatever mic you choose (and I'm not recommending an SM57 for Foley
work!), or a really high gain, low noise outboard preamp in order to get
a usable record level without pushing the PreSonus preamp to full gain.