Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default PreSonus 1810 audio interface.

On 3/8/2019 11:32 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
You should be able to set the input gains
manually, so you don't care about that. And you should be able to feed
the converter outputs straight into your DAW application, so you don't
care about being able to make premixes.

So this "mixer" is just another layer of software to go wrong.

The "mixer" is a DSP chip in the interface. The software is the control
panel for the mixer. This gives you a delay between mic in and headphone
out in the low tenths of a millisecond, compared to the 2 or more
milliseconds that it takes for the signal to go in, through, and out of
the DAW software and back to the interface's headphone output. The small
latency of the DSP mixer pretty much eliminates the comb filtering
effect that you hear on your own voice when speaking into a mic
connected to the interface input and hearing yourself on headphones.

2 or 3 or 4 milliseconds of latency is of little or no consequence when
you're in the control room monitoring musicians playing in the studio,
or when making field recordings, or even when you're playing an
instrument and hearing yourself on headphones. But for vocals, unless
you have the monitor level high enough so that it swamps out the
through-your-head level at your eardrum (which is, I suspect the reason
for the "I've never noticed that effect" reply when I mention it on
line) the un-natural sound of your voice in the headphones bothers many
people, whether they're singing or narrating.