Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default Speakers That Sound Like Music

On Sat, 8 Sep 2012 10:04:59 -0700, Gary Eickmeier wrote
(in article ):

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

Well, the best we can say is that a 4" driver probably cannot be optimized
for high frequencies and midrange-bass frequencies at the same time. One
thing. If you go to Bose's website and open the PDF of the owner's manual,
there is a page near the back with specifications. They give distortion
figures, and maximum loudness plus the eq range of the active equalizer
that
comes with the speakers, but NOWHERE in those specs do they even hint-at
frequency response. Checking the rest of the website, nowhere does it
mention, hint-at , or discuss frequency response in any way. I have to ask
myself why?

I think I can handle that.

Bose 901s do not have a simple "frequency response." They are an active
equalized, direct/reflecting speaker whose response depends on the room they
are in, the equalizer settings, and your distance from them to a certain
extent.

They could still spec' the thing in an "optimum room" or at least give the
limits in an optimum room. that CAN be measured, you know.

Do you remember back in the early years when Bose was on a singular mission
to downplay specs as the way to compare hi fi equipment. The reason is that
companies were listing a specsmanship war on measurements that had nothing
to do with audibility. They knew from double blind testing that most of
these specs were inaudible and so refused to publish specs on their
electronics. I haven't looked in lately on whether they have specs for their
pro line of speakers, such as the tall thin towers with sub that almost all
of the DJs have now.

So how do you measure a 901. I just do it in my listening position, moving
the microphone around as the pink noise plays, but I almost always adjust
things by ear anyway. That's all that matters.

I agree, but some baseline is necessary in my humble opinion and I've always
thought that Bose 901s NEEDED a tweeter (and this is just by listening with
my ears, I've never actually measured a pair. OTOH, they certainly are
inexpensive to buy new. $1300 for a pair of speaker systems is a pretty good
price these days.