Steven Sullivan

Default "DSD recordings good. PCM recordings bad." - Dr. Diamond

Kalman Rubinson wrote:
On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 00:11:16 GMT, Steven Sullivan
wrote:

One certainly wouldn't make strictly on *how much software is available*.
Arguments for the *technical* superiority of DVD-A clearly should depend
on 'numbers'.

Sure, none of us used that argument. What we said was that there was
a preference for one medium over the other because there was more
enjoyable music available on that medium. Regardless of technical
superiority, the existance of listenable music is essential.

I own relatively few classical DVD-A OR SACDs. Of the former, my favorites
are areissue of a 1970s recording of Messiaen's 'Turangalila Symphonie' on EMI,
and a disc of electronic works by Morton Subotnik.

Yup. I prefer that Turangalila to the newer Chailly SACD.

Haven't heard the Chailly, but I've loved the Previn one for so long
I'm sure I'd be biased against it ;

FWIW, the EMI remastered-from-quad DVD-As is one of two
discs that my Pioneer DV-45a can't do proper bass mgmt for. Works fine
for the Dolby Digital tracks, but not for the DVD-A surround tracks;
it simply will not redirect bass to the sub, for these.
Still don't know why this is (or why it also fails the Chesky
Ultimate Surround 'Bass Mgmt' test, the only other case I've found where
BM isn't working) but addition of an ICBM unit fixes it.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director