Harry Lavo

Default "DSD recordings good. PCM recordings bad." - Dr. Diamond

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
On 4 Feb 2004 20:12:19 GMT, "langvid" wrote:
And the paucity of classical (and jazz) DVD-A selections becomes even

more
acute when you narrow it down to discs worth listening to. The bottom

falls
out. Several times I have asked for recommendations here for worthwhile
DVD-A discs. There have been no takers, even from those that hold out

DVD-A
as "superior" to DSD. What specific discs are the basis for their

decision?
We know that it is not based on dbts. But certainly some listen was
involved.
Or are decisions as to what is the most worthy replacement for CD being

made
strictly on the "numbers"?

There are some I can heartily recommend:
Ravel/Debussy Qts: Surrounded By
Wagner Overtures: ArtsMusic
Mendelssohn Octet: MDG
Swing Live: Chesky (also on SACD, of course)
Shostakovich Jazz Suites: Naxos
Also, most of the AIX, TaceT and MDG DVD-As are excellent, if you like
the programs.

Kal

I'd add to that "The Buena Vista Social Club" DVD-A which is very clean but
is a puzzle to me since I feel it a bit sterile...judge for yourself, as the
music is definitely worth having.