Steven Sullivan

Default "DSD recordings good. PCM recordings bad." - Dr. Diamond

langvid wrote:
Mike Prager wrote in message
Kalman Rubinson wrote:

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:38:59 GMT, chung wrote:

Harry Lavo wrote:
It seems
most classical music lovers prefer SACD as sounding more natural.

Again, OSAF.

Most classical music lovers prefer SACD to DVD-A simply because there
is more classical SACD than there is classical DVD-A.

Yes. This classical music lover finds it impossible to get an
impression of classical music on DVD-A, there is so little.
Most of what is there requires a TV to play back, even if one
is uninterested in the video content.

And the paucity of classical (and jazz) DVD-A selections becomes even more
acute when you narrow it down to discs worth listening to. The bottom falls
out. Several times I have asked for recommendations here for worthwhile
DVD-A discs. There have been no takers, even from those that hold out DVD-A
as "superior" to DSD. What specific discs are the basis for their decision?
We know that it is not based on dbts. But certainly some listen was
involved.
Or are decisions as to what is the most worthy replacement for CD being made
strictly on the "numbers"?

One certainly wouldn't make strictly on *how much software is available*.
Arguments for the *technical* superiority of DVD-A clearly should depend
on 'numbers'.

I own relatively few classical DVD-A OR SACDs. Of the former, my favorites
are areissue of a 1970s recording of Messiaen's 'Turangalila Symphonie' on EMI,
and a disc of electronic works by Morton Subotnik.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director