Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default SM7B everywhere people speak

nickbatz wrote:
On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 7:39:44 PM UTC-7, PStamler wrote:
Nick, what exactly are you asking?

Whether it's popular because it's such a great mic for voiceover.

I could post dozens of links to people using them, and I don't know the mic.

It's clean, it's directional, it's not too huge-sounding, and you can
eat it without popping.

When I started out in radio, the popular announcer mikes were RCA ribbons
but they were quickly being replaced with the more fashionable Sennheiser 421.
Then those were out and the RE-20 was in. Then the RE-20 was out and the
SM-7 was in. Then the SM-7 was out and the RE-27 was in. All of these are
fine mikes for a wide variety of voices.

The SM-7, with switches set flat, is not as bright as what people today like,
but I consider that an advantage. Don't use the switches, use external EQ
if you want to EQ the thing.

I seem to have missed the SM-5. You still see one now and then but they
never seemed to be anything program directors were demanding.