Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Ethan Winer's Null Tester

Ty Ford wrote:
As I've mentioned before, pre 2000, myself and two other recording type fou=
nd differences in mic cables at Flite Three in Baltimore. GAC-3, Belden (do=
n't recall the number) and EMT (still have a length of it sent to me by Ger=
ry Graham of Gotham sound along with the M71 Gefell mic.=20

We were simultaneously excited and dismayed. We all agreed on the nature of=
the differences.

With what mike? Again, this has a lot to do with source and load. With a
Collette you shouldn't expect to hear any differences, but with a 77DX into
a preamp set up properly for it you sure will.

And yes, a proper null test will demonstrate it.

The solution? Locate the preamp next to the mike when you're using the 77DX.