Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Thompson-Bell[_3_] Ian Thompson-Bell[_3_] is offline

Default A Mac is an elegant implementation for elegant people, so...

flipper wrote:
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:55:13 +0000, Ian Thompson-Bell
wrote:

flipper wrote:
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:36:30 -0500, "WindsorFoxSS"
wrote:
I will say one thing, if the more popular versions of Linux made it
as easy to install upgrades and new software as OSX and Win, including
WINE and/or other Windows emulator/converters, I would have hopped a lot
harder and a long time ago.
Yeah. The Linux community has been slow to recognize the concept of
'user friendly', with 'user' defined as Jack and Jill Average, and the
fragmented, inconsistent, nature of the O.S. exacerbates the problem.

I think it is a misconception to assume the 'Linux community' has any
special desire to make the OS/apps friendly to Jack and Jill average
users.

Well, there are plenty who at least profess the goal of 'taking over
the desktop' and that's a bit problematic if Jack and Jill Average
can't use it.

Certainly some distro providers have this aim but most have
financial motives for it and they are only a small part of the
'community'. Most community members are happy with the diversity offered
by Linux.

That's a circular argument since those who aren't happy stop using it.

No, Linux has always been about choice including the choice not to use
it. It was not designed for Joe Average so it is not surprising many try
it and then leave it. Linux is what it is, an OS that mainly suits the
computer literate. Some distros are trying to make it more accessible
which is fine.

Cheers

Ian