Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Heusser Marc Heusser is offline

Default mic direct to video camera?

In article .com,
"JL" wrote:

The camera is a miniDV Canon GL2 which has a 3.5 mm stereo mic input
that accepts external unbalanced mic level sources; no phantom power.
Is it possible (or advisable) to go direct to the camera's mic input
with a pair of self-powered condenser microphones using an XLR (x2) to
stereo-mini Y-adapter? The cable length from mics to camera would be
10' to 20'.

I'm recording an acoustic guitar and would like better sound than what
I can get with the camera's onboard mic. Any advice on this setup or
suggestions for self-powered condenser mics $400-$600 (pair) would be
appreciated.

JL

I have used Sennheiser K6/ME64 (or any other like ME66 Š) successfully
as a self (battery) powered option with Canon Cameras.
The improvement over the built-in mic is huge, people usually commenting
on the much sharper image :-)
Sennheiser also offers a budget option: the MKE300, specifically to be
mounted on the accessory shoe of the camera, and with a 3.5mm plug. I'd
assume this to be an improvement too.
It seems Canon also offers as an option a module for XLR inputs,
unfortunately not phantom powered.

I have used adapters for XLR to 3.5 mm plugs from
http://www.studio1productions.com/xlr-pro.htm successfully with very
long cables (20m), and can recommend them.

The GL2 seems to have good control (ie manual level), so the only weak
point seems to be the 3.5mm plug.

HTH

Marc

--