Posted to rec.audio.pro
JL JL is offline

Default mic direct to video camera?

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Soundhaspriority wrote:
That's how I would do it. Sounds very "pro" to me.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if the concept was sound.

Richard Crowley wrote:
Watch out for the "plug-in-power" from typical camcorder 3.5mm
inputs.

I'm not sure what you mean. Could this damage the mic?

Don Pearce wrote:
If you are working close to your computer, I would suggest you
record your sound to that instead of the camera. That way you
can do all the processing work it may need instantly in a DAW.
Put sound and vision back together later on the same machine.
It really helps to use a clapper board at the start for
synchronizing.

Yes, this sounds like a better way to go but I'm trying to come up
with a simple solution for times when I don't have a computer/phantom
power nearby.

GregS wrote:
Some of the full function cams also have line in, but having an
isolated mic is good, and powering it from the wall can create
loops. Keep in mind the unit will have an automatic level control
which may be good or bad, depending on how you look at it.

Would a battery-powered condenser mic create loops? The GL2 has
manual level controls.

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Double-system is the way to go, I strongly suspect. And I'd take
a single Josephson C4 or A-T 4053 over a stereo pair in the same
price range, hands down. Especially for video where most of
the listeners won't have accurate stereo imaging anyway.

Double system? I couldn't find information on the Josephson C4 but
the AT4053 requires phantom power.

JL