Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Utralinear SE amps with EL34/6CA7.

On Apr 1, 7:53*pm, flipper wrote:
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:22:55 -0700 (PDT), glenbadd

wrote:
On Apr 1, 3:01*am, "Watt? Me worry?" wrote:
On Mar 30, 9:37 pm, Patrick Turner wrote:

Hi RATs!

The diode prevents the screen from going the wrong way or something.
Someone said they liked the sound, so I tried it. It sounds better. No
clue why.

I use big 40A 1000V Ultrafast units. It was the only size the store
had four of...

Happy Ears!

Al

It may have originated from herehttp://oestex.com/tubes/

I was thinking the same thing. In particular, on this page

http://oestex.com/tubes/oes.html

I read that ages ago but unless my eyeballs are installed backwards,
or something, that author has a serious problem with polarity and
'electron flow'.- Hide quoted text -

I tried fitting my eyeballs in differently and even with one facing
backwards and one facing forwards but I still could not see much
benefit to using all those different ac and dc voltages applied via
diodes to g2 and g3.

So what happens with beam tetrodes where the beam forming plates are
connected to the cathode?
I guess you don't get a chance to use these plates as one might use g3
in a pentode.
But then the gm of g3 is rather low and ineffective and non
linear....

The other day I did put a CRO on the screen to look at the screen
current in the 220 ohms stopper resistor in my SE35 with acoustical
CFB. At low levels the screen current ac is quite linear but at higher
levels approaching max there is up to 20% 2H in the signal just before
clipping occurs. I seemed to me the screen current was always only in
ONE direction, ie, electrons flowing into the positive screen supply
as is does at the anode. Conventional current flow is from positive to
negtive. A series diode in the anode circuit pointing into the anode
allows flow. allows averlam
So the diodes placed the way they are shown for g2 would just allow
screen current all the time in one direction and I cannot think why it
would want to flow the other way.

I'm very suspicious of the validity of the claims at that oestex site.

Patrick Turner.