Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com is offline

Default Bi-wiring?

On Mar 6, 10:53*am, ST wrote:
More observations to report.

I did try bi-wiring and found that the system tend to sound bit
bright. Ok, maybe it is all in my head. But then I was thinking is it
possible why my system sounded bright because of the followings:-

1) Let's say speaker's impedance is *6 ohm.

2) However, my tweeter is said to be 4 ohm and my woofer is 8 ohm.

3) My Amp is capable of 250W per channel.

Q1) Will driving with X amount of power into 6 ohm
speaker be the same as driving with the same amp
but individually, i.e bi-wiring the 4ohm tweeter and
8 ohm woofer with non whatsoever changes in the
volume?

Please, THINK about how bi-wiring works, more
importantly, how it does NOT work.

Unless you are using VERY tiny speaker wire,
it has no substantive effect. With biwiring, you
are moving the common connection points
between the woofer and tweeter to a different
point in the speaker lead. The amplifier STILL
sees the woofer and its crossover in parallel with
the tweeter and its crossover. The load to the
amplifier doesn't change AT ALL.

And, unless you are using very tiny speaker wire,
in BOTH the non-biwire and the biwire case, the
signal seen by the woofer and its crossover
is the ENTIRE signal, and the signal seen by the
tweeter is the ENTIRE signal.

Biwiring is simply NOT capable of separating the
two signals: that job is handled by the crossover.
And the crossover is connected THE SAME in
both the non-biwire and the biwire cases.