Mark DeBellis wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:
wrote:

That is not to say that we believe that
what we hear is imaginary.

Though it might be. Why can't you say that? It's a reasonable
possibility.

Just an experience I had this morning ... the timer beeped on my
microwave and I let it run. It was the same short-long over and over
(physically unchanging in any perceivable respect, I assume). And
could I hear it differently, all sorts of ways! Different groupings,
different quality to the silences, etc. I mention it because it's
probably easy for anybody to replicate.

Mark

I've had similar experiences. I feel the same way when I listen to a
bit of music twice--I notice different things the second time, just
because that is what the attention does.

If I were given the "fake switch" test, I'm sure I would perceive a
difference, because I pretty much always perceive differences on the
repetition of musical material. (The fake switch test is when someone
tells you, Listen to the great new piece of equipment, I'll switch it
in now, and they throw a switch that's not connected to anything.)

As an aside, I think this is one of the appeals of minimalist music
(this way of re-listening to repeated material).

So, personally, I don't feel confident I know what something sounds
like unless I've listened a while.

Mike