Jenn wrote:
In article , wrote:

wrote:

Well, this is where we will never agree, of course, but I don't feel a
need to *prove* these claims.

I truly appreciate the essential honesty of this statement. Maybe
it's time for all the subjectivists out there to just admit that: 1)
they can't prove that their beliefs are true; and 2) they don't
care that they can't prove that their beliefs are true. They just
believe them.

So true, just as I can't prove that I prefer yellow mustard to brown; I
just believe that I do.

You don't just believe you prefer it. You actually DO prefer it. (But
do you really? Yecch.)

OTOH, you could use a blind comparison to determine whether you prefer
it because of the color or because of the taste. Perhaps that's what
you meant by "believe." Now, nothing requires you to do this test. But
if you don't do it, then you have no basis for asserting (were you wont
to) that you prefer yellow for its taste, not its color.

Once you're past that, you can start all the threads you want talking
about what amps and cables sound like to you, and which ones you bought
and why. Chung, Stewart, Sully and I will leave you alone. Just leave
out the part where you try to explain WHY things sound the way they
sound to you. If you don't want to do science, stop playing at it.

I'm afraid that this approach doesn't work. Several times now, when
describing why I enjoy the sound of X vs. Y, without getting into any
"science", I am in effect told that my opinion is silly because I can't
prove that I hear what I hear.

But that's because you're posting in a thread specifically on the
question of audio tests, and how we know what we know. In that context,
what would otherwise be a simple and unassailable statement of
preference will inevitably (and, I think, rightly) be taken as
something more than that.

bob