Barry Mann

In , on 05/13/05
at 01:05 AM, Dan said:

I just started to hear power circuit noise on my PC speaker system.
If I turn on my paper shredder, I can hear it on my PC speaker
system. Do I have a ground issue? How can I fix this?

Dave and Steve's advice is reasonable.

Have you changed anything?

Sometimes the quality of computer speakers and shredder motors are
dreadfully low and such problems are expected.

Are there any other symptoms beyond the computer speakers? If you use
an antenna for your TV, how is the TV picture? Can you see any
interference when the shredder runs?

Tune an AM portable radio between stations at the upper end of the band
and run the shredder. Is the radio upset? If so, move the shredder to
another circuit and listen to the radio again. Same results? If so, the
shredder has a problem. If not, there is something odd about the
original circuit (and we can't give the shredder a clean bill of
health). If you purchased the lowest price possible surge protector
outlet strip, the technology could be taking it's revenge. Cheap (less
than about $20.00) outlet strips don't protect much.

In general, as you walk around listening to your radio, spots where the
noise seems concentrated are "interesting". The spot could be near the
primary source (bad motor, bad connection) of the noise or a weak spot
in the system that should be evaluated.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)