Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default The Old "Feedback Is Bad" Lie

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 04:11:45 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

The classic 1970's description went: an amplifier is modelled
as an input transconductance stage driving a capacitor, the
value determined by what's necessary for single dominant pole
stability, a big-ass gain stage, and followers.

YUK !

Things have improved somewhat since then.

Well, yeah, I'd hope so. But the previous Governor of my
home Snake (in the United Snakes of America) just won the
Iowa presidential caucus for his party (the current ruling
party) and he doesn't even believe in Darwin's mid-19th
century version of evolution. Your glass may be half full;
I'm thirsty. "Improved" is local.

But on a lighter note, the mindset of considering stage gain
and compensating capacitance together in an amplifier design
is so ingrained these days (post-Matti Otala) that we take it
all for given. Ain't so; somebody did it!, back in the day.

I'd be very interested in your current thoughts about
intrinsic linearity in general. I've certainly enjoyed
reading your various comments over the last several years,
which seem to have evolved philosophically into a more
and more agnostic viewpoint. Comments?

Much thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck

"There's little that's impossible, but it becomes more complicated if
you move between different systems." - Mike Rivers, in another context