Nousaine

Default Why shouldn't someone buy Bose?

Joseph Oberlander wrote:

.....snips to only pertinent issues ......

GM builds unreliable crap barely better than Ford. The Lexus SUV -
yeah, it bites. The point of a true SUV is to go off-road, and
to do that, you need small and agile. You wonder why the Lexus
is so bad? Because it's really a 4wd oversize van with fancy
sheetmetal. The STS is eh - okay I guess. Did nothing for me
compared to a GS400. Of course, strap yourself into a SAAB 9-5
with the big turbo in it...(grin) It's no 911, but it's no
Caddy either.

You want to know the basic truth? The most reliable and durable cars I've ever
owned have been my 3 Corvettes (new '94, used '95 and new '01 @ 250 k miles
between them with 1 fuel pump replacement) which have been better than my 2
Hondas, 2 Volvos, 1 Saab, 1`Fiat, 3 Fords, ! Studebaker, 2 other Chevys and so
on.

Subwoofers in this category typically have maximal SPL capability at 60 Hz

and
above but fall at 12-24 dB per octave below 62 Hz. Few are capable of

producing
reasonable SPL with low distortion even down to 32 Hz.

I personally cut subs off with a hard filter or digital processor
at 60hz. Higher than that is directional in my house and is
going to be interfered with by the true LF sounds. This means
good mains. 6-8 inch woofers and 40-50hz cleanly.

Those are really hard to find IME. And you're wasting the dynamic capability of
the "sub" woofer.

BTW - yes, I've heard a LOT of god-awful flabby and chuffy subs
over the years. It's not rocket science anymore, but it does
require a better than $30 15 inch speaker.

There ain't nosuch thing as a $30 15 AFAICT. Even those cheap instrument
speakers aren't all that cheap.

Wel, since the Bose box has upwards of 30-40% distortion when raised
to decent sound levels...

How do you know this?

Others have measured it. Typical of most HTIB setups, the bass
"module" is made out of LDF or plastic or simmilar and resonates
quite readily.

Let me ask this: who has measured this? I've heard such claims but have not
seen replicable confirmation. Indeed the only "measurements" of Bose speakers I
can recall were made by ....me.

80hz is doable with good drivers. With decent SPL and low distortion.

Not if they're smaller than 5-25-inches. 6 or 6.5 is a useful minimum size

for
a system with true dynamic capability at 80 Hz. Smaller drivers simply

don't
have the displacement for that job.

It depends. Some do - some do not. Many *do* suck at low frequencies.

Which ones "do"? Smaller cone drivers simply do not have the basket geometry
and suspensions to allow increased displacement with "stroke."

I'm constantly amazed at the utter rubbish that makers foist off on us
in most speakers. You can tell it's a $10 driver just by looking at
where it is made and the obvious errors and quality control issues.

????? If you mean Israel and un-even glue up I'm guessing you mean a popular
brand that you seem partial to. But, on the whole I'd agree ..... we propably
get off-spec parts over the counter.

The moral is that you need to really make your own speakers as
the rubes charge you ungodly markups. $300 in parts yields
a hell of a tower speaker(one) if you are halfway competant.

IMO that's why companies like Paradigm, Harman and Bose vertically integrate
..... to eat the middleman margin and retain control over quality.

was able to acquire custom TC Sounds 15-inch unit swith 2/3 more Vd than

the
JBLs. This was primarily because the 23.4mm Xmax of the TC Sounds more than
offset the 10mm JBLs 60% more cone area.

Nice to know. How much do they cost?

Contact TC Sounds in San Diego.