Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

Default When music mattered more

In article ,
"ScottW" wrote:

If I had to pick an American Pop icon of the era it would
probably be Mamas and the Papas.

I might agree. Great, great sound. Only one #1 hit; three remembered
songs. I wrote a little guitar tune the day that Denny died. I might
nominate CSN/CSNY.

Well.....I have a distinction between pop and rock. They were mainstream
rock

Point taken.

I like old Neil Young but CSNY didn't stick with me. Too polished
maybe?

Have you seen their "Down By the River" (one of Neil's best songs, I
think) on Youtube? I love it. http://youtube.com/watch?v=yYZ50PjDTi8
Memories of high school dances for me!

I still play Jefferson Airplane often. I love Crown of Creation.
Lather was 30's year old today....

A fine album, but not generally "American Pop icon of the era"
nomination material, of course.

I moved onto my personal faves of the era.

You shouldn't be so vague! Just ribbin' ya.

I think that David Crosby wrote a track
on that album, didn't he?

Yup, Triad.

I forgot to nominate Simon and Garfunkel. Real 60s pop icons.

Very true.

Simon
has had a truly incredible career. Unreal longevity. I saw one of
their reunion concerts about 4 years ago in Oakland. Totally cool.

I saw an INHD TV broadcast of one in New York. It was fun to
watch.

yes, I have that DVD set. Excellent.

Their Best of album is one of the few compilations
I really like.

The
BEST live acoustic guitar sound in a large venue I've ever heard by a
long shot, BTW.

Since they came out with all this time synched drivers the large
venues have really improved with reinforced sound all over.
Sounds great compared to the one overwhelmingly loud PA
on stage of my youth.

lol Ain't it the truth?