Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default When music mattered more

On Jul 6, 11:47 am, ScottW wrote:
On Jul 5, 9:44 pm, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

I'm watching a Beverly Sills retrospective on PBS. I first saw it a few
months ago, and they are replaying it, no doubt, due to her death.

I'm reminded of a time when music mattered more than it seems to now.
She was all over the media in the 60s-90s: Johnny Carson as guest,
Johnny Carson as guest host, Dick Cavett, Merv Griffin, 60 Minutes
profiles, covers of Time and Newsweek, game shows, etc. She was part of
popular culture.

Now it seems like it's about scandal, "sexiness", the seven deadly sins.
That's what sells. You don't have to sing anywhere near in tune to be a
hit (listen to American Idol).

Don't get fooled by the early competition segments which are
supposed to be comedy segments.

Do you think the American Idol winners have no talent?
I think they have oodles of talent compared to the Ashley Simpson
and Britney Spears of the pop world.

Most every household knew her name. Now
most every household knows Michael Jackson's name.

She was a lovely lady; a devoted wife and daughter, doting mother to two
handicapped children. Later in life she raised millions for the New
York City Opera, then Lincoln Center, then The Met. And she was perhaps
the greatest singing actress we've yet seen.

OK, enough of my descent into "oldfartdom".

In any society, there are at least two cultures: the culture of the elite,
and the culture of the masses. It existed in the Penny Dreadfuls of the 19th
century. Shakespeare contains elements of both cultures. Yet it appears
that, in the U.S., the elite culture is in eclipse.

Eclipsed by the disgusting $$ rained on no-talent
produucer created pop stars of today. A practice in play
since the Monkees .

While failing to note that the songwriting for The Monkees was
exceptional (Boyce-Hart, Neil Diamond, Carole King), that there were
many firsts, including the first use of the synthsizer, and that at
least two of the "talentless" Monkees had enjoyed success prior to
joining that band.

As an aside, Mike Nesmith was an early pioneer of music video.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Nesmith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Jones_%28actor%29

As usual, you get your "facts" wrong.

Anyway...being eclipsed is far from in decline and I think there are
lots of talented musicians who may not get the MSM recognition
once bestowed on the likes of Beverly Sills....but that's really
an issue with MSM pursuing ratings over talent.
How does a wholesome talented actress compete with a
crotch shot of Britney? They can't and shouldn't even want to
try.

Yes, that's it, 2pid: "wholesome" loses out to "pussy" every time.

That has to be it.

Imbecile.