View Single Post
  #31   Report Post  
Posted to rec.audio.pro
external usenet poster

Default prosumer audio interfaces

Hi, OP here again.

First of all thanks to everyone for some really helpful replies. You won't recognise my name but I have been following this n/g for over 15 years so I am familiar with many of the regular contributors and have great respect for your opinions.

Just to round a few items off:

- The 8 input thing: Well I've been doing home recording since I was a kid and back then I used two mono reel-to-reel machines and ping-ponged back and forth. I then graduated through the 4 track cassette portastudio and got my first 8 track system in the 90s which I agree at the time seemed fantastic. But this isn't the 90s any more. I don't want to sub-mix my vocals or horns or drums, I want everything on a separate track in one pass.

I got a system capable of this about 6 or 7 years ago using the aforementioned Phonic 24 and a HP pavilion laptop (with firewire). Both have given excellent service, and still do, but I know the laptop will die one day (probably quite soon) and so I'm planning for my next upgrade.

I don't want to go backwards. Currently I have 18 simultaneous record channels and I kinda like them. From the various replies I see I have these choices:

- get the same Phonic mixer I already have but the USB version. I very nearly did this but was put off with the reviews of this model with many people saying the power supply crapped out after a year. My firewire version hasn't shown any problems, but then it was built 7 years ago when maybe they used better components. Anyhow, I was disappointed to see that Phonic seems to be the only prosumer brand that caters for my market (although thanks for the tip about Behringer E32 - I'll look into that). I would like to have a bit of choice in the market.

- buy a s/h laptop computer with firewire. Possible, but this only puts off the problem until that one dies too.

- use a PCIe firewire system. I already do this at home. The laptop is for mobile multitracking. I am looking into building a micro atx lightweight system with PCIe but then I'd still have to tote around a screen, keyboard and mouse. You can't beat a laptop for portable power. Then I also need to consider whether even PCIe firewire will disappear - I guess it will, while USB seems like it will be here at least for the rest of my lifetime (or while my wizzened fingers can grasp a mouse anyway)

- get one of those double stacked lightpipe systems - I looked at those a while back and that's still a possibilty, but the problem here seems to be the $$$.

Again thanks to all,
TWJ