Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default prosumer audio interfaces

Les Cargill wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/3/2014 12:37 PM, Jeff Henig wrote:

snip
It's a hard future to predict, though. I'd say buy an analog console and
as many digital I/O boxes as you need, but in a transition period, which
may span more than five years, you could see analog consoles
disappearing

I just do not see that. Maybe analog consoles go boutique, but digital
consoles are just weird. I would not want to try to do a live band with
one unless I knew - and had tested - that power failures didn't scramble
it's brain.

I would - again - at least try to use Reaper-plus-interfaces before I'd
go with a digital console.

There are more and more, and more useful, digital boards coming along
regularly. There are also some fascinating points where the digital
designers got too clever for themselves and ****ed things up. Case in
point is the useless "graphic" EQ's on the StudioLive boards, where they
tried to avoid some kind of interband distortion _by moving the center
away from its designated ISO frequency_ under some conditions. So those
EQ's dont work like they are supposed to work, don;t work like you told
them to work, and hence, don't work.

The little Mackies, the 1604 and 1608, on the other hand, work _very_
well, and the people with whom I've been discussing smaller digital
consoles are happy to let those replace the basic rack gear of
compressor/limiters, time-based effects, and EQ's of all common types.

I am presently digging into reasonably priced digital boards from Mackie
and A&H, and will start on otheer brands soon, for a couple of rooms
where we need to fulfill some possibilities that cannot be approached
affordably in the analog world.

That different makes, and sometimes even different models from a given
manufacturer, offer different UI's, is one of the weirder things about
this tech at this point. If you know how to drive a well equipped analog
console you know basically how to operate most all analog boards, wthin
reason. Not so one digital board to the next. You stand to fade a whole
new idea about how to get at the controls.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com