Ben Bradley

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 14:41:56 -0400, ebyea wrote:

MZ wrote:

I've seen something like "Original tone control capacitor from 1957
Les Paul" on ebay, as if the exact capacitor had some special part of
the sound. I'd be very surprised if anyone could hear a difference
between it and any other capacitor of the same value.

Maybe he's replacing it so he can make some dough? He'll replace it with
a 99 cent radio shack job and then make a killing off ebay selling the
"original tone control capacitor from 1957 Les Paul".

No it's a 97 strat and I've had it with passive pickups. So I bought a
pair of emg that are powered by a 9 volt battery. Since I'm wiring the
whole thing from scratch now I figured why put the cheap ceramic in
there.

What model are these pickups? One of the (usually desirable)
characteristics of guitar pickups is the coil's self-resonance around
7kHz. I must admit I'm not familiar with the sound (or internal
impedance levels before amplification, etc.) of active pickups.

Out of all the posts with the usual snipes and chatter there was
one useful suggestion of using a tantalum dipped but alas in 0.1mF Rat
Shack only has metallized so I'm still at the start

A tantalum is a polarized capacitor like an (aluminum)
electrolytic, I saw that but I don't understand why anyone would have
suggested it.

Can I use metallized (is that just another name for tantalum dipped?)

Yes you can, no it's not - a "metallized" is made from a thin
plastic sheet with a metal coated on each side, then rolled up.

can I put a tin foil in there I have several I use for speaker crossover
bypass on tweeter caps

Yes, actually most any type of capacitor (other than electrolytic,
either aluminim or tantalum) with the correct capacitance will be
better than a ceramic for this application.

(another whole lifetime of threads in this ng as
to why toilet paper and clothes hangers are just as good as high quality
caps and wire).

Thanks.

-----
http://www.mindspring.com/~benbradley