ebyea

James Lehman wrote:
This is a small cap that is connected to probably a linear taper 300K ohm
pot that allows a variable amount of the signal from the magnetic pickup to
shunt to ground through this capacitor. It bleeds the treble off of the
signal. Usually ceramic disks are used for this, but tantalum dip drops are
good too. Magnetic guitar pickups put out a surprising voltage, but there
isn't much current there. I still remember the Koss Pro4X headphone
phenomenon though... Those phones are sensitive enough to hear the guitar
signal straight from the pickup with no amp at all. But yes... I would call
this a classic case of a "passive" filter cap.

I used to do a lot of guitar hot-rodding.

~James. )

"ebyea" wrote in message

It's for a guitar tone control and I'd like to replace the little 0.1mF
marked 104 light dull brown about 3/8" circular cap with a paper in oil
which I happen to have or a hovland or something of a bit more quality.
Would there be any loss of signal using a different type of capacitor
or is a cap a cap and all that matters is the rating and that the volate
meets or exceeds the requirement?

Would ceramic disk replaced by tantalum dip drops be better?