Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

Default What are tracks for in a MIDI file?

On 1/21/2018 9:46 AM, Tobiah wrote:
I'm going to be doing some algorithmic composition
using MIDI files as output.Â* I can mark each event
with a destination channel number, but I can also
write to individual tracks.Â* Why would I want to
create individual tracks?Â* Is it just for housekeeping,
or is there something that I can accomplish with
multiple tracks that I can't with a single track?

Absolutely. For example, let's consider a string section to accompany
the composition. You use 8 MIDI instruments to create the string
section, with some parts playing accents and others pizzicato.

If you output the 8 MIDI tracks a single DAW track, you have to live
with the balance and dynamics that you set in the MIDI tracks, which may
or may not be the best for your arrangement. The only choice would be to
rinse and repeat. If you output those 8 MIDI tracks to 8 DAW tracks, you
can adjust the balance and dynamics to suit.

--
best regards,

Neil