Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default What are tracks for in a MIDI file?

I'm going to be creating MIDI files with a python program,
then importing those files into Reaper. One benefit I could
see in writing to different tracks of the MIDI file would
be that I could instruct Reaper to split those tracks into
different DAW tracks - a possible advantage.

I also noticed that each MIDI track can have its own tempo
markings (at least in a format 2 file).

Tobiah

On 1/21/2018 7:25 AM, John Williamson wrote:
On 21/01/2018 15:11, Tobiah wrote:
On 1/21/2018 6:56 AM, John Williamson wrote:
On 21/01/2018 14:46, Tobiah wrote:
I'm going to be doing some algorithmic composition
using MIDI files as output.Â* I can mark each event
with a destination channel number, but I can also
write to individual tracks.Â* Why would I want to
create individual tracks?Â* Is it just for housekeeping,
or is there something that I can accomplish with
multiple tracks that I can't with a single track?

Each track in a MIDI file opens a new instance of the synthesiser or
other MIDI controlled software instrument you are using

Are you sure about this?Â*Â* You are saying that if I load Kontakt
as a VST on a DAW track then that instance is duplicated for each
track in a MIDI file a play through that DAW track?

I know it works like that using the MS General MIDI synth, and assume it
would work that way with other synths.

But why put a multi track MIDI part into a single DAW track? You get
more control by putting each MIDI track or voice into its own DAW track.

Â*so you can have
two or more MIDI instruments playing at once, say a virtual piano and
a virtual guitar.

I can already route each note to a different instrument in my virtual
synth using MIDI channel numbers for each note.Â* I still don't
understand what capability I'm gaining by splitting things into
different tracks, other then for possible organizational benefits.

Say you want to play a note on a piano at the same time as you play a
drum hit?

Or you can have one playing (say) quarter notes in 4/4 time, while
the other is syncopating to those notes by shifting the timing on
each track, or even playing 8/8 or 2/2 to go with the 4/4 on the main
track.

Still, I can set each event to fire at any time, so it seems as though
I should be able to do any of the things you mentioned using one track.

Try it and see.

Chords in any one trackÂ* are handled by a single.instrument, and any
one track can only be assigned to one instrument/ synthesiser
combination at a time.

Now say in Reaper, can I load two separate VST synths onto one track and
route different tracks of a MIDI file to each synth?Â* That would make
sense, but I wouldn't know how to do it.

It's likely in the manual somewhere. I don't use Reaper.

One benefit may be if you need to print out a score for real musicians
at some point or for copyright purposes.