Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Stereo receievers: THD of .04 vs. .08

In article , Eeyore wrote:

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Peter Larsen" wrote
Eeyore wrote:

Remember, 5532s are class AB and bipolar. ;-)

And the bias current in the output stage is a far larger
fraction of the maximum load current. It may operate
entirely in Class A with many or even most loads. Not
many people are using 600 ohm working.

Let that apply for the poweramp too ... not at an
unrealistic concept for home use ... and there is NO
issue.

IME, most home systems spend much of their time running at very low levels
where neither side of the output stage is ever cut off.

It's not the cutting off per se that causes the distortion. Just modulating
the collector current of an emitter follower output stage by any significant
fraction of the quiescent value will cause distortion due to the change in
----

I put together my "big" amp some years ago. I had to keep tweaking it to get it stable.
What I ended up with was a bridge amplifier with a lot of crossover distortion. Since the scecond channel was
fed the inverted output of the first channel, if you looked at it differetially on a scope, the crossover distortion
vanished. What the hell, I said, and used it like that. It was just fine. I didn't want to jack up the bias any more.
I had a lot of predriver stages.

greg