Iain M Churches

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Iain M Churches"

There are countless LP's, for example the Oscar Peterson trio recording
I am listening to at the moment, with piano across the centre, bass on
one side and drums on the other.

** A fool argues using irrelevant examples.

............... Phil

Hello Phil,

I have just taken a look at this track on a spectral analyser, and with the
exception of a small amount of studio leakage, there is no string bass on
the opposite track. There would be if the LF was centred. Listening to
just the other track in mono confirms this. This recording dates from
the 60's, and was probably made on a three track Ampex 350 series
tape machine, hence the interesting configuration. This is by no
means a unique example.

You are correct in your statement that LF can be routed centre. At Decca
we called is LF phase, with a switch marked as such on the console.
I studied cutting for a period of two years, under senior engineer Harry
Fisher
as a part of my training. LF phase was used only when it was
absolutely necessary. As you so rightly pointed out the vertical modulation
afforded to the cutting head is severely limited, by the thickness of the
lacquer layer on the disc. In fact, American lacquers (Westrex) were
considerably thinner than those we used in Europe

You make no further mention of helium cooling, so presumably you have
checked the facts, and found my statement to be correct, just as Stewart
did.

I should be interested to hear of your disc cutting experience.

Iain

Oh, and Phil.....Please try to be civil. Your insults and expletives do
nothing to strengthen the content of your posts. In fact quite the reverse.
I am happy to discuss disc cutting with you, but if you are unable to do so
in a civilised manner I shall reach the conclusion that you are either
socially
challenged or in need of professional help, and consign your posts to
a killfile, as so many others on RAT have done.