Posted to sci.physics.acoustics,sci.physics,rec.audio.tech
Angelo Campanella Angelo Campanella is offline

Default sound of a trumpet

"Sam Wormley" wrote in message
On 12/9/10 11:19 AM, RichD wrote:
What is the physics/acoustics of a wind instrument

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...es/clocol.html

This assumes a closed end, promoting only odd harmonics,

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...opecol.html#c2

This discusses closed and open ends, promoting odd-only as well as both odd
and even harmonics.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...locol2.html#c1

This discusses the conical column as well, and I'm not sure I go along with
his rationales as to why it behaves differently.
I am told that clarinets and other tapered-bore wind instruments, do not
emit even harmonics in their timbre. This implies that those instruments
have the characteristics of a closed-end tube. My thought is that the
conical bore acts as a barrier or reflector for a sound wave reflecting from
the opening back into the bore because that closing bore impedes propagation
back up said bore toward the tiny mouthpiece opening..

Ange.