Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ethan Winer Ethan Winer is offline

Default How to improve family room acoustics?

I have heard that placing acoustic foam under the couches may help, but I
am not sure if it's really true and if the effect is noticeable. Any
comments on that?

That won't be useful. ALL acoustic problems are caused by reflections off
the walls, floor, and ceiling. So the solution is to apply absorption to
those surfaces. Putting something under a couch will have minimal effect if
the floors are bare, and no effect at all if you already have carpet.

rboy's suggestion for portable absorbers makes sense if you can't treat the
room surfaces, though you need absorption more than diffusion. Hank's
suggestion of my company RealTrap's products is also a good choice (thanks
Hank), and we have a number of panels and stands and wheeled options that do
exactly what you need.

--Ethan