Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer Engineer is offline

Location: Thornhill, Ontario
Default 6080 audio amp?

On Feb 18, 9:20 am, Patrick Turner wrote:

Patrick many thanks for the thoughtful reply. Some questions
below...

(snip)

You can set up a PP pair of class AB1 6080 or aka 6AS7 with
RL about 1k, a-a and Ea = 200V and if the Pda of the two tubes = 40W,
then you get about 10Watts of clean power, or about 100Vrms a-a into the
1k,
and gain at about 1.8, so you need about 30Vrms at the grid which is
none more than for 6550 in triode.

Do you mean two 6080 in mono P-P. i.e. two paralleled triodes per
side, total 4 triodes each 1/2 a 6080, or just one 6080 in P-P (two
1/2 6080's)? I'm thinking about the latter, i.e. one mono PP amp with
one 6080 (duplicated for stereo if it works.)

3k is to high, and the Vswing will be limited by the Ea, which cannot be
much above 200V because the tube
just doesn't like it, it tends to run away with current if the Ea is too
high
no matter what the applied grid bias voltage is.

Pity, as I have the 3K option with the two 125E OPT's in the spares
box.

The peak Ia available is VERY high for a tube, and ppl have used a quad
of 6080 for
a basic OTL amp, and Atmasphere makes OTL with lots of 6AS7 as a
commercial example.

Not planning for OTL, not enough tubes, anyway.

Its also possible to series connect the 6AS7 and use a cap coupled OPT
which is a line
voltage speaker tranny, Altronics of Western Aust make a toroidal one
which I thought would work
with the series PP.

Might look into it...

But a good use is the circlotron circuit with a low Z load on the
primary.
Two 200V floating supplies are needed.

Starting to look contrived... using the 6080 is not worth that
effort!

Some toroidal mains transformers are OK to use because with say 240V : 2
x 35V windings
you have 240 : 35 with both secs paralleled, giving TR = 6.86, ZR = 47:1
= 376 ohms to 8 ohms,
and about right for a suitable tube circuit if the Ra-a is about 90
ohms.
1/2 a 6080 Ra = 280 ohms, and a whole one has 140 ohms,
a pair have 280 ohms a-a, and a six pack have Ra-a = 93 ohms, just what
you want
and you could get about 50 watts AB1 easily. They'l also go AB2,
but maybe not much is gained except more thd, which isn't wanted.
A 150Watt mains toroidal tranny could be fine, and is worth a try.

Such mains trannies are dead useless for other large octal tubes, 6550
etc, because the
AB load for a pair is typically 5k for 50 watts AB1 into 4 ohms, and
7k for 35 watts into 8 ohms, with most of the power class A.

"Universal" mains toroidal trannies with two 120V primary windings are
needed, and the secondary voltages of say 35V are a guide only, and
could vary
down to say 18V + 18V for a transistor amp PS.
240V : 18V gives 1.42k : 8 ohms.
The 240V across the primary gives a Bmax of about 1.2Tesla at 50Hz.
For good low bass you want 1.2T at say 20Hz, so the voltage across the
primary
should be no more than 240V / ( 50/20 ) = 100V only.
240Vrms into 1.42k = 40 watts only.
For a guitar amp the mains toroidal is usable with 6080 but for hi-fi
the available
turns per volt are simply not high enough, no matter what the VA of the
tranny is,
because it will saturate at too high an F, especially when used
with the high Z of bass speakers below 100Hz.

This is starting to look interesting... I just happen to have several
salvaged mains transformers (from my company's dumpster - we used to
build our own linear P/S's in the 1980's and have just chucked out the
old parts.) They are PRI: 240, 220, 208, 133, 120, 0 VAC to SEC: 27.6
VAC CT, i.e. 13.8-0-13.8 VAC. Thhese have a CT 240 VAC PRI to 13.8
VAC SEC (using 1/2 of it.) For 8 an ohm speakers I make that about
2420 ohms plate-to-plate. Low enough for one 6080? These
transformers are rated 63 VA, also 50-60 Hz. They have quite large
iron cores but I don't know the design Bmax is.

Your 20 Hz calculation (above) shows 100 VAC max across the "240" VAC
primary for 1.2 Tesla (assumed), giving 5.75 VAC across the the 8 ohm
speaker for only 4.13 watts. Not at all good!
If we accept a roll off at modest 40 Hz we could allow 240/(50/40) =
192 VAC across the primary to get 11 volts across the 8 ohm speaker
for just over 15 watts. A lot better, not at all bad for one O/P
tube.
So, I'll draw a few lines on the 6080 plate characteristics and see
what gives. BTW, the tube rating goes to 250 VDC so might as well push
it there. I would use cathode bias to keep it a bit safer, then,
allowing for over 100 VDC of bias the B+ would be close to 350 VDC.
In your opinion, is this worth a try?
Cheers,
Roger

Have fun, but I prefer the 6550, KT88, KT90, EL34, 6AC7, 2A3, 300B etc.

Patrick Turner.- Hide quoted text -