toad

"David Morgan \(MAMS\)" wrote in
newsAh4d.8007$vd1.1629@trnddc03:

"toad" wrote in message...

Agree. The only real advantage XP offers over 2000 is start-up speed.
If you don't care about this then stay with W2K.

Toad

I think this may depend on how 'bloated' the system is. As to boot
speed, I've never seen anything as slow as XP... which is bloated by
design. If it were a contest for boot speed, I could fire up a 98SE
system, open the audio application and be recording or burning CDs
before the XP system was on line. With 2000, I found that every piece
of software added would slow the boot time, and it had better be a
dedicated audio box or glitches were in the works. The moment
anything having to do with 'Office', 'Works', network cards, or
anything which required the addition of MDAC components is added, it's
speed and functionality as an audio workstation is compromised.

DM

Odd, the prefetch feature of XP just makes it boot a whole lot faster
then W2K or 98 in my experience. But, it depends too on how many startup
programs and services you have on each. The first thing I do is turn off
as many automatic services as possible in XP or W2K which helps.

Toad