Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

Default I'm beginning to think...

In article ,
ScottW wrote:

On Monday, June 24, 2013 1:17:10 PM UTC-7, Audio_Empire wrote:
They can't even tell a heavily digitally

compressed and lossy playback from a lossless FLAC file and they're

talking about cable and amp or CD player "differences." Talk about the

emperor's new clothes!

You're not helping to encourage listening tests with that attitude
FWIW...I don't notice any problem with WMA VBR (240 to 355 Kbps)rips which
is about 5 fold reduction over flac. If there is an audible artifact at
those rates, I don't want to know about it. I'm not ripping all those CDs
again....ever.

ScottW

You should have done what I did. I ripped everything 16/44.1 in Apple
Lossless. That way I can just run stuff through any one of several apps
(I use Korg's "AudioGate") to convert it back to un-compressed, or
directly to FLAC or even to MP3s (fates forbid) and still have the
original file. Ripping stuff to the lowest common denominator (MP3), I
felt would be a big mistake for a number of reasons: first, and foremost
of which is that you can never retrieve that which the MP3 algorithm has
discarded.