Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default Disappointing Trend in Mp3 Encoding

On Nov 1, 4:20*am, (Don Pearce) wrote:

This form of joint stereo coding - called mid-side - is really for the
convenience of mono compatibility. It does not cause any information
loss and permits no compression.

The kind we are talking about here is intensity coding. in which the
high frequencies are combined into a single channel, with just a
little bit of side information and some panning instructions for the
codec. Low frequencies are pretty much left alone.

This does give a once-useful data reduction, but doesn't sound
particularly convincing for critical listening. It can also go
horribly wrong with some audio cues.

d- Hide quoted text -

________________________

That's some of the stupidest stuff I've ever heard!! (No, not you Don
- I mean the concept!)

"Mono compatibility"? Here in the 21st century???

And summing the tops to mono vs the bottoms? Totally ASSinine if you
akse me.
Better to sum low, where directionality is less critical(except with
the ping-pong bass track on "Welcome To The Machine").

Both concepts are the OPPOSITE of what we need now. How about
"surroundstereo" compatibility. Stereo is the new mono, right? And
that HF vs LF thing is a joke.

-ChrisCoaster