Gene Poon

Default New drive belt?

Sandman wrote:
I'm dusting off my old AR Cambridge turntable to record my old vinyl
onto my computer hard drive.

As I haven't used my turntable for about 8 years is it worth me buying
a new drive belt? I just ask because I wonder if over time it
stretches/perishes.

I've got a new stylus as my old one was wearing out anyway.

Everything else looks ok but I haven't got it up and running yet.

If the belt is still providing adequate traction and has not taken a
"set" on the motor pulley, it should be OK.

Remove it and just let it rest lightly on a table top. See if the
rubber has taken a set where it rested around the motor pulley. If so,
try running the turntable overnight and see if that gets the anomaly
out. If not...if it retains an "impression" of the motor
pulley...replace it.